OSCAR is an easy-to-adopt solution for outstanding university applications
There is a range of conflicting advice on how personal statements and references should be written. Recent research shows what academics are really looking for in university applications.
OSCAR was developed with the generous support of the Sutton Trust. It guides students through an activity-based process for writing outstanding subject-focused personal statements which are in line with the latest research.
The OSCAR approach - which supports students as they independently analyse a topic or case study - has been shown to significantly increase applicants' chances of securing offers from their chosen universities while offering valuable academic enrichment.
OSCAR provides an accompanying tool for making reference writing far more effective.
How OSCAR works
- OSCAR moves away from general advice and guidance and takes students through a step-by-step online course in their chosen subject.
- All major UCAS areas are covered from Anthropology to Zoology.
- Each course has been developed by teachers and university academics.
- Whether a student is studying Graphic Design or Medicine, students are given the opportunity to analyse a topic of interest in the manner of a university undergraduate.
- OSCAR supports students of all abilities; key tasks are differentiated providing both challenging and scaffolded activities.
- As well as improving personal statements, OSCAR provides a tool for completing teachers references continually updated with the latest research.
Outstanding personal statements
- OSCAR turns the process of writing a personal statement into a positive and exciting opportunity for students to explore their subject.
- At school, OSCAR easily fits into tutor time or other planned enrichment sessions.
- Students can continue to work at their own pace at home or school.
- Teachers can track, monitor and provide pre-written feedback for their students.
- Using OSCAR students write personal statements which emphasise the qualities desired by admissions tutors.
Improved reference writing
- OSCAR captures and collates the key messages required by admissions tutors and UCAS.
- An easy-to-use tool contains updated subject-specific university skills for all subjects making it possible to write a targeted reference with ease.
- All major subjects are covered from Nursing to Graphic Design.
- OSCAR has functions for full tutor references and short subject reports.
- The tool ensures that all staff - from NQTs to experienced practitioners - benefit from up-to-date research.